Engineering Advisement

Frequently Asked Questions

When is the last day to register for classes?

The last day to add or drop a course for Fall II 2021 is January 5th, 2021. The last day to add or drop a course for Spring I 2021 is March 12th, 2021. The last day to add or drop a course for Spring II 2021 is June 22nd, 2021.

What type of degrees are offered?

The Engineering Science programs include four degrees: Civil, Electrical, Earth System Science & Environmental, and Mechanical Engineering. Each yields an Associate in Science (AS) degree, and has been designed for transfer as a Dual/ Joint program with the School of Engineering at City College of New York (CCNY). In addition, there are two Energy Technician pathways which culminate in an AAS degree for either the Electrical or Mechanical option.

How can I have my transcript sent to me or another school?

Official transcripts are sent directly to other colleges and employers. It is the policy of LaGuardia Community College NOT to issue official copies of transcripts directly to students. No official transcripts will be sent to a student’s home address. Only a student copy of the transcript may be sent. Official and student copies may be ordered online. LaGuardia Community College has retained Credentials Inc. to accept transcript orders over the Internet. If you do not have access to the Internet, call Credentials Inc. at 847-716-3005.

Hours of Operation are: Monday-Thursday: 7:00AM-8:00PM CST and Fridays: 7:00AM-6:30PM

Students ordering over the Internet will receive official and unofficial (student copy) transcripts within 5 to 7 business days.

The regular transcript fee charged by LaGuardia is $7.00 per transcript. There is an additional fee of $2.00 for use of the online service resulting in a total cost per transcript of $9.00. Transcripts sent to colleges in the CUNY system are FREE. Only the $2.00 online service charge per transcript will be charged.

To order a transcript online, please have your:

Student ID # (CUNYfirst EMPL ID or Social security number), Birth date, Telephone number, and Valid major credit card, and Name and address of the party the transcript will be sent to. A transcript request cannot be processed with any “stops” on the student’s record (i.e. Bursar, Library, Financial Aid, etc.)

Can you tell me how many classes I have left to finish my degree?

You may access “DegreeWorks”, a web-based program that enables you to easily track your academic progress. You will be able to see how specific College requirements have been met and what courses you can take to fulfill the requirements which are remaining. With the click of a tab (the ‘What If’ feature), you will also be able to see how your academic requirements might change if you were to change your major.

Degree access

How do I know if I’m approved for Financial Aid?

Please refer to the following self-service guide

In addition, if you are experiencing financial hardship, you may qualify for Emergency Financial Aid. See the following link

Have my official transcripts been received?

If you are transferring from LaGuardia Community College to another institution, you may contact the other institution to determine if your transcripts have been received. In addition, Transfer Services may assist you through the transfer process: Click Here

How do I change my major?

Changing your major may impact your degree requirements, financial aid and the length of time to complete your degree. Consult with your academic advisor prior to submitting this form to explore all your options and ensure that you choose a major that best matches your transfer and career goals. To change your major, you must fill out a change of major form with the Registrar Office. Click here to access the form

How do I declare a double major?

See above.

Can I change my major if I am not in good academic standing?

Consult with your academic advisor to determine your options.

What happens if I register for a course and I haven’t taken the prerequisite course(s)?

If you lack the necessary prerequisites for a course or transferable credits for courses that are similar to the prerequisites, you will not be permitted to take the course.

Can I drop a course after the drop date?

Usually, there is a day you need to drop to receive 100% tuition early in the semester, and a second date you must drop by in order to receive a 50% refund. This semester (Fall I 2020), the last day of the semester is the drop date.

Can I take some of my courses as Pass/Not Pass (P/NP)?

This option was specifically for the Spring I 2020 semester in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. There are very few courses across the college that provide the C/NC option for semesters other than Spring I 2020.

Can I repeat a course more than once?

Yes. However, you should ask your Academic Advisor about repeating courses and the related rules.

What is an advising hold?

This hold prevents you from registering and/or making any changes to your class schedule without first meeting with your assigned academic advisor. This encourages you to meet with your academic advisor prior to adding, dropping, withdrawing or registering for courses.

How do I know if I have an advising hold?

You will not be able to register, and the information should be shown in DegreeWorks. You may also check with the Registrar’s Office:

When should I see my advisor to clear an advising hold?


How do I make sure I have satisfied all requirements for completing my degree?

Again, visiting DegreeWorks and regularly meeting with your Academic Advisor will ensure that you’re on the right track to completion.

How can I satisfy a major program requirement with a course I took at another institution?

Meet with your advisor to find out if the credits are transferrable.

Can I request an exception to a stated degree requirement?

This may relate to the above question. Speak with your advisor, who may suggest that you discuss your issue with the director of the particular academic program.

What do I do if I have been dismissed and what do I need to do to be readmitted?

You may apply for readmission/reinstatement via the Office of the Registrar. There is a $20 processing fee for the application

Can I appeal my dismissal?

There are times when circumstances in life affect your academic progress. Perhaps there have been changes in health for you or a family member or a change in a work schedule, or other events that have directly impacted on your attendance or grades. When those situations arise, the Academic Appeals Process is in place for you. It gives you the chance to request that an exception be made to an academic policy or procedure at LaGuardia.

You may file an appeal to ask the Academic Appeals committee to approve the following changes:

  • Changing a grade from WU, F, FIN, or U to a W due to qualifying circumstances are appropriate (Other requests for grade changes must first be made to the instructor of the course(s) and then to the Academic Department Chairperson before filing an appeal).
  • Request to have your tuition liability waived. Or request both when you are asking for a change of grade and a tuition liability waiver.
  • Request to be reinstated to the college from Suspension/Dismissal.

When is the Deadline to file an Academic Appeal?

The Deadline to submit an appeal is ONE semester after you received the grade you are appealing. Example: If you are appealing a grade from the Spring 2020 semester, your deadline would be the end of the Fall 2020 semester. However, if you have not been in attendance since the grade you are appealing was posted, you may appeal the grade during the semester of your return. Example: If you are appealing a grade from the Spring 2019 semester, take a leave, and return in Spring 2021, you may proceed with the appeal.

More details

How can I determine my academic standing?

DegreeWorks, regular correspondence with your Academic Advisor, and communicating with your instructors.

How can I get help with tutoring for my engineering courses?

The MEC Webpage offers information about tutoring:

In addition, talk with your instructors about course support and tutoring.

Where can I find out about internship opportunities?

There are plenty ways to find out about internship opportunities. Your professors may have insight about opportunities. Ask them! Student clubs also receive a lot of updated information about internships. Consider joining the:

Where can I go for software and technical support?

You may attain software and technical support specific to assignments and technology for your engineering course assignments from the MEC web page or Engineering Program slack channel

If your issue is outside of the above, you may initiate an IT ticket from your My LaGuardia page.